Clearwater Sun Collection
The Clearwater Public Library System holds the copyright to the Clearwater Sun. Please contact us using this form to request research assistance.
In-person access at the Clearwater Main Library: the newspaper's 1925-1989 run is available on microfilm; access to the Sun photograph archive (comprised of 47,000+ photographs) is available on request.
Online access at Pinellas Memory: Selected photographs have been published on Pinellas Memory. Newspaper issues from 1925-1929 are now available, with more added weekly. Digitization of the archive is ongoing, and we are actively seeking volunteers to assist with this project.
We maintain a popular collection of old city directories, useful for researching people and businesses over time.
Microfilm Holdings at the Main Library
- Clearwater Sun January 1925-May 1989
- Saint Pete Times (now Tampa Bay Times) 1970-present
- New York Times 1930-2009
- Wall Street Journal 1968-2006
Search the St Pete Times Archive
>>>Search their website for articles from 1987-present.
>>>Search Google News archive for articles from 1870-2008.Other Pinellas county papers archived by Google News include the St. Petersburg Daily Times, the St. Petersburg Evening Independent, and the St. Petersburg Independent.
Please note that you cannot print from the Google News archive, although you may be able to use your computer's screen print function to grab a picture. Should you need back issues of the St. Petersburg Times/Tampa Bay Times, please visit the Main Library and request access to the microfilm. You can also request reprints of specific articles directly from the newspaper.
- Heritage Village contains a dozen or so historic houses from Pinellas County, including a general store and auto body shop. It also contains the Pinellas County Historical Society archives, particularly the popular yearbook collection.
- Clearwater Historical Society & Plumb House Museum
- Pinellas County African American History Project
- Tampa Bay History Center
- Florida Heritage Trails
- Florida Memory (primary sources)
- Pinellas Genealogy Society
- Church Records on Florida Memory Project
- State Library and Archives
- Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers
- Other Florida History Websites
>>>Click here to find more historical material in our catalog