NeoGov Frequently Asked Questions
Applicant help desk: (877) 204-4442, and select phone option #1
COMPUTER/INTERNET ACCESS AND USE
APPLICATIONS MATERIALS & ATTACHMENTS
What is NEOGOV?
- The City of Clearwater contracts with NEOGOV, a leading vendor for applicant tracking in the public sector, to assist with the on-line application and recruitment process. Candidates for employment have the ability to search for City jobs and apply on-line through NEOGOV.
I'm already a City employee - do I need to use NeoGov?
- Yes. If you are applying for an open position (and not an internal only promotion), HR highly recommends that you create an account and submit the application through NeoGov. Your application will be designated as from a current employee and will then be processed and routed with all the electronic applications.
How do I apply for job openings with the City?
- After you create your "master profile" on NEOGOV for your employment application, you have the flexibility to edit and/or add information for each application that you submit. The master profile, which you only need to create once, makes it easy to apply for multiple positions (with the City or other public employers who use NEOGOV) without having to re-enter your information.
Why do I need to set up a master profile account to apply for a job?
- Having a master profile account allows you to submit an employment application (using your profile information) and track its status. Members of your family and/or friends should not use your account. Each account must have a unique email address.
Can more than one person use the login?
Back to top
- No. The login is assigned to one person and should not be shared.
COMPUTER/INTERNET ACCESS AND USE
What if I do not have access to a computer with internet service?
- The City of Clearwater Public Library (and its branches) provides computer access free of charge with a library card. Other public libraries may also provide free computer access. In addition, the Human Resources Department at 100 South Myrtle Avenue has a computer available for public use.
Must I have an e-mail address to apply for a City position?
- Yes. You must have an e-mail address to apply for a City position as the City will correspond with candidates via e-mail. If you do not have an e-mail address but would like to open an e-mail address, you can sign up for a free e-mail account with a number of vendors such as Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Gmail. You will need to check the web site of the vendor you are interested in and must agree to the terms as set by the vendor of your choice.
NOTE: You cannot share email addresses with anyone else. Each individual applicant must have a unique user ID, password, and email address.
Must I set-up a 'user account' to apply online?
Back to top
- Yes. Click on the 'Online registration' link to create your user account. Remember to keep a record of your user name and password for future reference. You will use this information to check on your application status and to apply for other positions.
APPLICATION MATERIALS AND ATTACHMENTS
Can I review the status of my application?
- Yes. To review your application status, log onto your account using your user name and password through the City of Clearwater's online hiring center. Or you may login to www.governmentjobs.com and click on the Career Seekers tab. Once you are logged in, click on Application Status.
After I submit my application, what happens next?
- Your application will be reviewed by the Human Resources representative to see if your qualifications meet those posted for that position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your information will be forwarded to the appropriate hiring authority/department.
How will I be notified of my application status?
- On your application you have the choice of receiving your notifications via email or via US mail (paper). Although we highly recommend email (faster, more reliable, etc.), you may choose to have a notification sent to you via US mail. You can also log-on to your account and click on application status for more information.
How long is my application active?
- Your master profile in NeoGov will not expire and you may use this same application to apply for multiple positions. However, once you qualify for a specific City of Clearwater position, your name will only remain on a referral list for one year (five years for current City employees). For example, if you applied for a Customer Service Rep position, your name would remain on that list for a period of one year and you would be eligible for any Customer Service Rep vacancies that occur. At the end of that year, your eligibility for the Customer Service Rep position would expire, and you would need to re-apply when the next posting occurred.
Do I have to fill out an application for every position?
- Yes. But the NEOGOV application system allows you to utilize your saved application as the basis for each posting in which you are interested.
What information will I be asked to provide?
- As with any employment application, you will be asked to provide work-related personal information such as your name, contact information, educational qualifications, employment history, and qualifications as they pertain to the position for which you are applying. To expedite this process, you should have this information readily available when you log in to complete your application. Note that an e-mail address will be required, as the City will correspond with candidates via e-mail.
Who will see my application materials?
- Only authorized City of Clearwater Human Resources staff will have access to your complete on-line application; with limited information provided to the department representative assisting with a specific recruitment. Note that the data is not shared with anyone outside the aforementioned specified City of Clearwater staff members and is maintained on a secured web server.
Can I change or add information to my employment application after it has been submitted?
- After an employment application has been submitted for a City position, changes cannot be made. However, you may submit another application (before the posting closing date) that includes your changes. HR will review the most recently submitted application.
I'm having technical difficulties and need assistance (may include attaching documents to your application) who can I contact?
- For any technical difficulties or assistance with attaching documents to your application, contact the application software company directly. The contact information is: NEOGOV, 1-877-204-4442.
Can I submit a resume or application for the City to keep on file so I can be contacted when a position opens up that I'm qualified for?
Back to top
- Unfortunately, due to our City policies and procedures, we cannot accept resumes or applications unless they are received in conjunction with a current posting. However, you can request to be notified when a specific type of position opens up by completing a Job Interest Card at this link: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/clearwaterfl/default.cfm?action=openjobrequest
How long does my name stay on the list of eligible candidates?
- External (non-City of Clearwater employee) applicants stay on the list of eligible candidates for one year from the issuance date of the list. City of Clearwater employee applicants stay on the list of eligible candidates for five years from the issuance date of the list.
If I qualify for a position for one department, am I automatically qualified for the same position in another department?
- Yes, if the position has exactly the same job title and qualifications (for example, Customer Service Reps). If a department has a job with similar requirements but a different job title, you will need to complete another application for that position.
What does it mean when a filing deadline states, 'Continuous?'
- The minimum time frame for any recruitment is 10 days and in most cases, the job postings will indicate an open and close date. For continuous recruitments, this time period may be extended until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. Please note: for those recruitments, the system will only accept applications while it is active online; once the desired number of candidates has been received, the posting will be removed from the Human Resources website. Candidates only need to apply once per year for continually open positions; their applications will be screened and forwarded to the hiring department upon request.
Is the City of Clearwater accepting application for internships and/or part-time/seasonal classifications?
Back to top
- Many seasonal and intern positions will be posted on the City website; you may also visit or contact the department that you are interested in working with for more information.