Keep the Wreath Green Holiday Fire Safety Campaign 2012
The Clearwater Fire & Rescue Department is promoting a keep the "KEEP THE WREATH GREEN" campaign. This program is designed to remind the public of Christmas season fire safety. CFR will place a wreath with green bulbs in the main fire station. When a fire is determined to be caused or related to Christmas decorations, one of the bulbs will be changed to red. In this manner, residents will be kept aware of the increased fire hazards of the season.
Here are some hints to help you keep the wreath green and your home safe this holiday season:
- Select only the freshest natural trees, and remember to keep it watered and away from heat sources, including televisions and radios
- Use only those artificial trees with safety approved tags
- Use lights that have been approved by a testing laboratory
- Discard any light strings having frayed cords or sockets
- Turn off all lights and extinguish all candles before bed and before leaving your house
- Avoid overloading circuits or extension cords. Check instructions with light strings to determine the maximum number you may place in one outlet
- Keep candles a safe distance from other things, and remember that a flickering flame is a fascination to little children. Keep candles out of their reach
- Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens
- Always use non-flammable candle holders
- Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over
The Officers and Staff of the Clearwater Fire & Rescue Department wish everyone a joyous and fire safe holiday season, and remember to keep the wreath green!