|Parks and Recreation Home
Beach Patrol Home
Beach Live Web Cams
Beach Patrol Statistics
Lifeguard Physical & Skills Performance Test
"Ocean Smart" Guide and Beach Flags
Rules & Regulations (at Municode.com)
Contact Beach Patrol
Beach Patrol - Lifeguard Physical and Skills Performance Test
Clearwater Beach Patrol is a United States Lifesaving Association certified agency. As such, we meet and exceed the requirements to maintain certification by:
- Requiring lifeguards to pass a preliminary fitness test prior to their application being processed for hire.
- Ability to swim 500 meters and run 1-mile under 18 minutes combined (the clock does not stop between the swim and run).
- Swim (500 meters) must be completed in 10 minutes or less.
- After hire:
- Lifeguards are required to complete 40 hours of supervised USLA approved open water lifesaving training and preventive lifeguard skills.
- Lifeguards are required to complete a 40 hour First Responder's course
- Lifeguards are required to complete CPR training.
- Group training from 9:00 - 9:30 am
- Individual training of between 30-45 minutes including skills for swimming, running, paddle boarding, surf skiing, and weight training.
- First Aid training
We strongly encourage all full time lifeguards to obtain an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.