These guides have been created to assist individuals that assist in preparation recreation program participation. These guides can be printed at home and laminated to assist in transition for activities. Word documents can be requested for individual modification by contacting the Therapeutic Recreation Division at firstname.lastname@example.org
Provide a continuum of services to improve the quality of life, through specialized programs and inclusive recreation opportunities.
Vision for the Future
A community of people connected by play, opportunity, and life pursuits
Through our programs we strive to:
- Provide education through leisure opportunities
- Reduce depression, stress, anxiety
- Develop self esteem through participation
- Provide emotional and social support to participants and their support system
- Increase community involvement
- Adapt activities as necessary, to ensure the success of participant
Programs in Development
The City of Clearwater is developing the following programs at our facilities and looking for partners and sponsors to enhance the program development. The plan for these programs is to offer quality training opportunities and keep people with disabilities active and living a healthy lifestyle. Athlete input into these programs is greatly supported; please contact Dawn Lewellyn, CTRS at 727-793-2339 ext. 245 or email@example.com
- Special monthly family events are available at Ross Norton Recreation Complex and Countryside Recreation Complex. Please contact these facilities for up to date information.
- Special Olympic Training Programs at City of Facilities include:
- Swim Team – Tuesday and Thursday Evenings – April through September at the Long Center
- Soccer – Wednesday Evenings – January through May at the Long Center
- Basketball – days/ times/ location vary – October through December
- State and Local Coaches Trainings – throughout the year
- If you are interested in participating in any Special Olympic Sports programs, please contact the Special Olympics Office at firstname.lastname@example.org . Downloadable athlete and volunteer forms coming soon.
Zot Artz Equipment To You
The City of Clearwater is proud to offer Zot Artz adaptive tools and assistive technology that transform wheelchairs into chalk drawers, creating large or small works of art, indoors or out. Children of all abilities and ages can stamp, draw, and print to make their mark. It's all play, but they learn, explore and develop skills while having fun together.
Are you having a special event, changing up the art class for a day or want to make your next birthday party special? Events must be booked minimum 1 month prior and subject to availability, fees may apply. To schedule your artz experience contact the Therapeutic Recreation Services Office at 727-793-2339 ext. 245 or at email@example.com .
Chalk Drawer can be used independently, attached to a walker or wheelchair. Ground space for chalk is needed for this activity.
Stamps can be used on the ground or on the wall.
Challenger Little League Information
Beach Wheelchairs are available at the Main Guard station at Pier 60 or you
may ask any lifeguard tower for assistance in retrieving one between the
hours of 9:30am - 4pm. The Beach Wheelchairs are on a first come basis.
Fishing, Hunting and Paddling for individuals with disabilities
For information on hunting, fishing, and paddling trail accessible resources in the state of Florida, please check with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Located at the Long Center
1501 N. Belcher Rd.
The Sunshine Limitless Playground was completed in July of 2006. The
playground is 70% accessible. Play components to were designed to
meet a wide variety of play needs for children of all abilities. The
many facets of the playground include musical instruments, ramped play
structure, sensory butterfly garden, elevated sand tables, and more. Park
also has a grill and covered picnic area. Picnic area is on a first
Interested in the learning how to swim, exercise or participate in competition?
Various programs are available at City of Clearwater facilities.
Adaptive Aquatics Team practices on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from
7pm - 8pm from May through September they do offer the opportunity
for athletes to participate and compete in Special Olympics.
more information you may contact the Long Center at 793-2320.
Private Swim Lessons - For persons with disabilities
30 minute class - By Appointment Only
In addition to our current swim lessons, the City of Clearwater is proud to offer a choice for parents of children with disabilities. Private swim lessons are now being offered. If you are interested in small group lessons please let us know. 793-2320 ext. 107
Whether just moving into the area or long time resident some helpful resources,
more specific resources are available. Please contact Dawn at 793-2339 ext. 245 for more information and resources.
List of additional resources
- Florida Challenger Baseball Jamboree – First weekend of May at the Countryside Recreation Sports Complex
- Make a Difference Fishing Tournament for Children with Disabilities – First Saturday of October at Pier 60
- Make a Difference Fishing Tournament for Adults with Disabilities – First Saturday of November at Pier 60
Dawn Lewellyn, CTRS
City of Clearwater
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
727-793-2339, ext. 245