Planning & Development
Municipal Services Building,
100 S. Myrtle Ave.
Clearwater, FL 33756
Development Service Center: (727) 562-4567
Code Compliance: (727) 562-4720
View Larger Map
Hours of Operation:
Development Service Center:
Planning and Development
Do I Need A Permit?
A building permit is required if you plan to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure. A building permit is also required if you plan to install, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, provided the installation is regulated by the Florida Building Code. You will not need a permit for painting, erecting wallpaper, installing tile/carpeting, replacing kitchen/ bathroom cabinets or fixtures or repairing a very small and minor roof leak less than $500. If you are unsure if you need a permit, please contact us at 727-562-4567.
Certain permits can be obtained online but most have to be obtained by submitting a permit application and required information/plans to the Development Service Center. Some permits can be processed as a "walk-through" permit but others will require a more in-depth plan review by staff and could take between four and 12 days depending on the type of project. Below find examples of work that requires a permit:
- Construction that changes the size or occupancy of the building.
- Construction, alteration, or replacement of any exterior or interior load bearing or non- load bearing wall.
- Any building framing work.
- Enclosing of any space including existing carports, porches and screened in rooms.
- Construction of any raised deck (whether attached or detached and with or without a roof).
- Replacement of columns, beams, joists, rafters, or any other structural component.
- Repair of wall, floor, or roof sheathing.
- Repair and/or replacement of any stairs and/or guardrails.
- Replacement, alteration, addition to or deletion from any electrical, plumbing (including fixture relocation) or air-conditioning system. (This applies to work inside or outside of the building on the property).
- Replacement of window, doors, garage doors or skylights in existing or altered wall openings.
- Installation of all types of hurricane shutters.
- Installation or replacement of any roofing component.
- Installation and replacement of all fence types.
- Fire repairs of any type or scope.
- Installation or storage or utility sheds, unless smaller than 100 square feet in area and without a slab.
- Installation, repair and replacement of motorized or electric gates.
- Installation, repair and replacement of tiki huts.
- Installation or replacement of siding, soffits and fascia.
- Installation of swimming pools and spas.
- Demolition of a structure or sign.
- Site work.
- All permanent sign types, including awnings.
- Commercial type awnings and canopies.
- Sidewalks, driveways, patios.
- Parking lot alterations including sealing and restriping.
- Tree removal.
- Flag poles.
- Grease traps and septic tanks.
- Kitchen Exhaust Hoods.
- Fire sprinklers.