City of Clearwater Handicap Parking Rules
Please note: This is not a full set of rules and regulations. Please see Florida State Statutes 316 & 320 for specific laws pertaining to parking.
Valid Handicap Parking Permits and/or License Tags:
Must be properly displayed and only used when vehicle is transporting person to whom the displayed permit is issued. If the permit holder is not exiting the vehicle, then the permit may not be used.
Off-Street Metered / Timed Parking (parking lots):
Permit is valid at any metered parking space without any time restrictions regardless of the time limit on the meter. The only exception is when the spaces are posted with a time restriction for Handicap Parking (i.e., Marina parking). (F.S. 316.1964(2))
All other rules of the spaces / lot must be followed (i.e., No Parking after 10:00 PM).
On-Street Metered / Timed Parking:
Permit is valid at any metered parking space located “on-street” with a 4 hour time limit regardless of the posted or meter time limit. (F.S. 316.1964(5))
Cashier Lot / Garage:
A valid handicap permit / tag does NOT exempt the driver from paying all parking fees in any cashier operated parking facility (i.e., surface lot or parking garage) unless the vehicle is equipped with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls OR the vehicle is properly displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit. In either of these two cases, the vehicle would be exempt from paying parking fees. (F.S.316.1964(8))
Correct use of a disabled parking permit
Incorrect use/abuse of a disabled parking permit
- Hang permit on your rearview mirror.
- Hang permit so expiration date can be seen.
- Have permit registration with you at all times.
- Make sure permit is not expired.
- Park properly in disabled space.
- Remove permit before driving.
- Get permit replaced immediately if lost.
- Return permit to DMV if permit is no longer needed.
- Always use YOUR OWN PERMIT ONLY.
- Be courteous to police or parking official.
- Don’t use someone else’s permit (including relative).
- Don’t park in Access Aisle (Striped Area). The fine for parking in an Access Aisle is $255, even with a permit.
- Don’t drive with permit hanging on rearview mirror.
- Don’t use an expired permit.
- Don’t put permit on dash with expiration date covered up.
- Don’t let anyone else use your permit including close family members and relatives.
Permits are registered one permit per name. Permit registered to person not vehicle.
Parking System Hotline: (727) 562-4892
General Parking Information: (727) 562-4704